Monday, March 09, 2009

SANS 2009: MGT 525

I'm just back from SANS 2009 in Orlando (#SANS2009).  I took MGT525 -- yes, the project management class -- with Jeff Frisk.  I signed up for the class because it is a required component of the degree I am working on.  I had actually heard some negative things about the class, so I was dreading it just a little (sorry Jeff).  But, I'm pleased to report that I found it incredibly useful.  I have been running large projects (large information security projects) for awhile, but I haven't really ever had any formal PM training.  We have a Project Management Office, and they provide guidelines and templates, and I know what a WBS and Gantt chart are for, but I didn't really know the "proper" way to go from one step to the next.

My eyes were opened when we worked through labs on taking the WBS and producing a precedence diagram to figure out the actual critical path -- including identifying what activities had how much float time.

Now project management seems much less like art and more like science.  This makes me happy.

Thanks Jeff!

No comments: