Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Dinner at Frontera Grill

Carly grimaces for the camera at Frontera Grill. I decided to pass on the huitlecoche. Someday I *will* try this corn fungus, but today it sounded too plain -- especially next to the other platas poqueños.

We did see Rick Bayless. He was working behind the bar, and Karen noticed. Later he came to talk to a couple at the table next to us. Apparently they had moved from Chicago to Atlanta and wanted to come back to see how Frontera was doing. They gushed for several minutes, but that must've been the highlight of their meal, because they frowned a lot after that.

I had a few small plates: Gorditas (teeny, tiny tacos) filled with duck carnitas and garnished with some seriously hot sauce. The sopes (tiny masa tarts) I ordered were also delicious. They were contained an assortment of fillings, including chicken in mole rojo and guacamole. Mica ordered some really good peach ice cream for dessert. It came with cajeta (goat milk caramel), which was pretty good but a little heavy on the cinnamon.

1 comment:

John Jarocki said...

Okay... I did finally eat huitlecoche -- at Los Equipales (http://www.eatabq.com/mandoza/2007/03/24/los-equipales/) in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Through the first half of my large, corn-fungus burrito I was thinking, "Mmmm, this is good, smoky, earthy stuff."

At the halfway mark, though, I started thinking about what I was eating too much. A friend also sent me a picture of some rather nappy looking huitlecoche in a can.

I guess I'm over my infatuation. :-)